Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Virtually Sedentary

Computers and video games have always been demonized as the culprits of physical inactivity. There is some credence to this accusation, but the truth is the whole thing is a symptom of a life which no longer requires much physical motion in order to manage in day to day life.

I could literally wake up, roll off the bed into a cushy chair with wheels, gently push my way to the computer console, have a meeting with my boss over a webcam, do my work by mere keyboard strokes, order my food by bluetooth, all while my iRobot vacuums the floor. If I feel like I may need some sunshine, my screen saver can perfectly emulate a nice summer day.

This is why the Wii fit is a great concept. I really like the idea of a computer technology which is designed solely to promote human movement. The body was designed for a time when we had to chase down wooly mammoths and run away from cats twice our size. Now all we need for food and defense is a credit card and a TASER gun.

So, in a way, the Wii is quite a revolutionary idea. I really did like the idea of a Wii workout room. Video games are so immersive now that it is pretty brilliant to use this world as a motivation to exercise...to turn it into a fun game and not torture.

I also really like the NutritionData site. Typing in my information I realize that I need to get this bacon double cheeseburger out of mouth, strap on some boxing gloves, and go a few rounds with a young Cassius Clay on the holodeck.

1 comment:

OCLS Learn 2.0 said...

HEy TTaDC!

I couldn't agree with you more! Many of the things people remember from their childhood don't really apply to the current day we live in. When I was kid we used to ride our bikes everywhere - BUT - we weren't in pre and after school day care...we didn't have state mandated testing, in most cases only one parent worked and child abductions were something never heard of. Video games haven't changed the world, the world changed and video games had an opportunity to fill a void.

Ok, I am stepping off my soap box now! Step away from the burger and do three more rounds!

Tom